Duration of riding with a swim in the hot river: 5 – 6 hours / 40 minutes easy hike / Season: 20 May to 15 September / Pick up and return included / Lunch box and homemade cake after the tour included
This tour offers spectacular views and a surprising variety of magnificent Icelandic nature. We first ride along the slopes of Reykjafjall mountain and continue on nice riding trails surrounding the small village Hveragerði. The path then takes us through a green forest to a colourful geothermal valley with hot springs, an area which expanded dramatically during an earthquake in 2008. On our way towards the green hills surrounding the volcano Hengill we have good opportunity to try the “tölt”, the special gait of the Icelandic horse. The horses then take us on a leisurely pace following narrow trails up into the valley Reykjadalur. We pass the beautiful waterfall Djúpagilsfoss and some hot springs before we reach Reykjadalur valley and will have the opportunity to take a relaxing bath in a warm stream. During the ride down the valley we enjoy fascinating panoramas over the surroundings, the village Hveragerði, picturesque farmland and all the way down to the coastline, where we might see the Westman Islands, weather permitting. We continue along the mountain slopes again back to the farm, where coffee and home-baked cake are waiting for us.
Hotel pick-up: In Reykjavik every day between 8:00 and 8:30. Pick up at the hotels in Seltjarnarnes, Hafnarfjörður, Kópavogur and Mosfellsbær at 7:45 and pick up from Hveragerði and Selfoss at 8:45.
Meeting time at Eldhestar: At 9:00.
Return to Reykjavík: Around 17:15.
- Pick up and drop off
- Riding and bathing for 5 – 6 hours
- 40 minutes easy hike (four short distances, about 10 minutes steep uphill), 19 km.
- Packed lunch (sandwich, biscuits, water bottle, vegetarian sandwich on request), coffee / tea / hot chocolate and home-baked cake after the tour.
- Helmets and rain gear/winter overalls will be provided.
What do I need to bring?
- Please wear clothes according to weather and solid shoes. We recommend hiking boots.
- Do not forget swimwear and towel.
- There are no changing rooms at the bathing place.
- Please let us know if there are any dietary needs like if there are allergies or vegetarians.
- Minimum age of passengers is: 8 years
- This tour is suitable for any riding level, but it is a physical challenge. Participants should have good physical condition and be able to mount a horse with little help.
- The tour can be changed if the weather does not allow for a ride in the mountains.