Golden Circle Self Drive Tour in Iceland
Duration: 5 days, 4 nights / Season: 01 April to 30 September / Departure: All days / Language: English / Transport: Car
The popular Golden Circle Self Drive Tour in Iceland focuses on the many star attractions of the beautiful south. Stopping at impressive waterfalls and gleaming glaciers along the way, the tour hits all the major hot spots of the region, including the famous attractions of the Golden Circle; Geysir geothermal area, Gullfoss waterfall and Thingvellir National Park, and stunning black beaches.
What’s in it for you?
- Worry free travelling.
- Digital itinerary with the Iceland Travel Companion app.
- Electronic version of Iceland Travel Booklet. Prior to your arrival we will send you an electronic version of our Iceland Travel Guide booklet. You can start preparing yourself for your upcoming Iceland trip and be prepared for your Iceland adventure!
- Flexibility. With comprehensive maps and your own vehicle, drive at your own pace. Choose your preferred stops during the day and hunt for northern lights in the evening.
- Visit the must-see attractions of the Golden Circle at your own pace.
- Travel in the footsteps of the Viking Sagas in Borgarfjordur and surrounding area.
- With an easy upgrade of your rental car to a 4wd, you can travel through the highland track of Kaldidalur, a mountain pass between two glaciers in the south
Must be 21 years of age to rent a car, 23 years of age to rent car category 5.0 or higher.
- Rental car for 4 days with CDW, unlimited mileage, VAT, GPS system, theft protection, and two authorized drivers. Types of Car recommended: any type.
- Car pick-up and drop-off at Keflavik Airport
- Accommodation for 4 nights including breakfast (except arrival day)
- Emergency phone line available 24/7
- Service fee and taxes
- Tablet with a new travel app called Iceland Travel Companion. The app includes:
- Thousands of points of nature sites, historic places, and road side services
- Safety guidelines and the apps of the Icelandic Meteorological Office and The Icelandic Road Administration
- Detailed description of the customer´s journey, including hotel itinerary and GPS road guide to each hotel
- A map view of the Iceland road trip
- Detailed pdf travel book about Iceland in English, Spanish, Italian, Dutch and French
**Please note that the package price is based on 4 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 5 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 4 day rental is up and use our Flybus Plus departure transfer.
Day 1: Arrival
Approximate distance: ca100km / 62miles
Geothermal Lagoon – Flower Village – Geothermal Greenhouses
Pick up the car at the airport and start your Iceland experience.
From Keflavik International Airport, we recommend driving the southern coast of the Reykjanes peninsula towards your first overnight stay in the charming village of Hveragerdi. This village is one of the few sites in the world located directly on top of a geothermal area and, because of its many greenhouses heated by hot water from nearby springs, it is often called the “flower village.”
Depending on your arrival time in Iceland, it may be ideal to stop and visit the renowned Blue Lagoon where you can relax in its geothermal waters.
Important: admission to the Blue Lagoon needs to be booked in advance.
Overnight stay in Hveragerdi area.
Highlights: Hveragerdi – The Blue Lagoon – Reykjanes
Optional: Blue Lagoon Entrance and Extras
Day 2: South Coast
Approximate distance: ca190km / 118miles
Thundering Waterfalls – Cliffs & Stone Arches – Black Sand Beaches of the South Shore
Visit the majestic Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss waterfalls, the infamous Eyjafjallajokull glacier and the surrounding area affected by the volcanic eruption of 2010.
Dyrholaey is a rocky headland characterised by a black lava arch. Every year thousands of sea birds and puffins nest here during the summer.
Important: Please note that Dyrholaey is closed during nesting season, from about the middle of May until late June.
Overnight in the Vik area.
Highlights: Seljalandsfoss – Skogafoss- Dyrhólaey- Eyjafjallajokull
Day 3: Thjorsardalur Valley – Gullfoss – Geysir
Approximate distance: ca300km / 186miles
Colorful Valley – Hekla Volcano – The Famous Golden Falls – Exploding Geysers
Explore Thjorsardalur valley and its contrasting landscapes of birch woods, sandy lava fields, rivers and waterfalls. The impressive Hekla volcano towers over the region. This valley is also where you can visit the excavated site of a Viking age farm that had been destroyed one of Hekla´s eruptions.
Continue to the amazing sites of Gullfoss waterfall and the Geysir hot spring area.
Overnight in the Golden Circle area.
Highlights: Thjorsardalur- Hekla- Geysir- Gullfoss
Day 4: Thingvellir – Borgarfjordur Area
Approximate distance: ca300km / 186miles
National Park with Geological Wonders (UNESCO) – Picturesque Fjords – Waterfalls
Visit Thingvellir National Park, site of the ancient Icelandic parliament and a jewel of nature. Here you can see the rift between the continents.
Then via either Hvalfjordur fjord or the Kaldidalur highland track (Open June-August, 4WD needed), your journey continues to the beautiful Borgarfjordur region and Reykholt, home of the 13th-century scholar Saga author Snorri Sturluson.
Return to Reykjavik in the afternoon for your last night in Iceland.
Day 5: Departure
Approximate distance: ca52km / 32miles
Drive back to Keflavik International Airport and even stop at Blue Lagoon as it is on your way to the airport, if you did not have time to do it on your arrival day. *
*Please note that the package price is based on 4 x 24-hour rental days starting at the time of rental. If your flight arrives early on day 1 and departs late on day 5 an additional supplement will be necessary unless you choose to return the car in Reykjavik when the 4 day rental is up and use our Flybus departure transfer.
Price: from Fr. 212.00 / night and person